Responsible for supporting the winemaker and winemaking activities, at our storage facilities, bottling facilities and in the lab to ensure wine quality aspects are met. The Lab Technician-Enologist investigates and conducts trials that resolve issues and advance wine quality. In addition, the Lab Technician/Enologist ensures that routine chemistry is conducted and reviewed in a timely fashion, then interprets results to make an action plan.
4+ years related experience or education, strongly preferred in the wine industry.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- FOSS Winescan (FT-MIR spectroscopy & calibration) and Volatile component analysis experience preferred.
- Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Creative - Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
- Deductive Reasoning - Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Safety Awareness and Accountability - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety, be responsible for personal safety and safety of others, adhere to company policies and procedures
- Excellent time management skills with ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, with ability to make well-reasoned and timely decisions based on careful, objective review and informed analysis of available considerations and factors.
- Ability to support decisions or recommendations with accurate information or reasoning
- Highly motivated, reliable and enjoy working in a team oriented, innovative work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision given proper direction.
- Strong wine chemistry and analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Excel and Word software applications.
- Working knowledge of wine records database programs, such as Vintrace.
- References, clean DMV record, and reliable transportation required.
Working with the world's best wine company isn't enough? Seriously though, we offer a truly competitive compensation package with bonus and stock options grants, plus choices with medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as flexible spending accounts. life insurance, 401(k), employee assistance program, and discounted pet insurance. And to top it off: a monthly wine credit with our wine club, Firstleaf.
Something looks off?